Cherry Tomatoes Olives and Basil Pasta
When I have cherry tomatoes in the house, I am always tempted to make two things. One is this cherry tomatoes olives and basil Pasta and the other is my Mozzarella and cherry tomato salad. I think Cherry tomatoes are best eaten raw or with as little cooking as possible. The sweetness of the fruit alone is so exotic.
I love this recipe because of all the mixed flavors – The sweetness from the onions and cherry tomatoes, infused with the scent of garlic, the tartness from the olives, the nutty flavor of the Parmesan cheese and the freshness of the Basil. How awesome can Pasta get really!!
This is a simple quick dish that takes about 20 minutes to put together once you have the ingredients.
- 1 small onion Chopped fine- (I prefer red onion for the sweetness)
- 400 grams cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Tomato Paste
- ½ cup Kalamata Olives (seeds removed)
- 2 sprigs fresh Basil
- 1 mediu Garlic sliced
- 2 tbsp Parmesan - grated
- 2 tbsp Olive oil (use good quality olive oil - it does make a difference)
- 500 grams Pasta - Penne or Spaghetti.
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Place a pot of boiling water with salt.
- Cook the pasta as per packet directions. Drain and set aside when ready.
- reserve ½ cup for the cooking liquid for the sauce.
- Add olive oil to a Sauce Pan.
- Add in the sliced garlic and turn the heat on med low. Heating the garlic in cold oil will enhance the flavor of the garlic in the oil.
- Add in the chopped onions. Saute for about two minutes.
- Add the tomato paste - with ¼ cup reserved water to help dissolve.
- Throw in your cherry tomatoes. Saute on medium low.
- Cook for about three minutes. You want the tomatoes to soften up but not disintegrate.
- Add in the Olives and tear in some basil.
- Add the Parmesan.
- Taste for seasoning - add salt and pepper as needed.
- Add the cooked and drained pasta. You should enough liquid to coat the pasta with the sauce, but if needed add in a few tablespoons of the reserved pasta water.
- Serve warm and Enjoy!