Cake Flavor combinations
When I started with my little cake business one of the challenges were to figure out what cake flavor combinations would match. I’d spend hours trying new small batches of recipes and seeing weather I really liked them or not.
I’ve given away a lot of free cake too! just to get feedback and some inputs from family and friends.
My own preferences
Personally I love to try new as well as create new flavors but often not sure which go together.
When I started cake decorating professionally I started putting together a list of popular flavors and combinations. Believe it or not a lot were the result of hunting online because some customer had asked me a flavor I did not have in my menu or had never tried myself.
Here’s a small part of that list. Ones I think you will love very much
Cake Flavors and Combinations
- Almond cake with Almond cream and White chocolate butter cream
- Apple cake with Salted Caramel frosting
- Banana cake with Caramel Cream cheese frosting
- Banana Cake with Nutela Buttercream
- Champagne cake with strawberry mousse and Champagne Buttercream
- Coconut cake with rum flavored chocolate butter cream
- Ginger spiced cake with Vanilla & honey butter cream*
- Earl Grey cake with lavender flavored butter cream
- Lemon cake with Lemon curd and lemon butter cream
- and Lemon cake with Almond butter cream
- or Lemon cake with Raspberry frosting and Lemon butter cream
- Strawberry cake with Banana mousse and strawberry butter cream
- Vanilla cake, Raspberry filling and White chocolate butter cream
- Orange cake with Vanilla Chai Buttercream
- Chocolate Pecan cake with Mascarpone Cream cheese frosting
- Dark chocolate cake with Peanut butter frostings
- Dark Chocolate cake with Mint Buttercream
- Chocolate cake with Chocolate Ganache
- Cherry Chocolate cake with Vanilla Buttercream*
- Chocolate Fudge cake with Raspberry or White Chocolate mousse and vanilla butter cream
- Chocolate fudge cake with crushed Oreo butter cream
- Dark chocolate cake with Orange, Strawberry or Raspberry Buttercream
How do you create these flavors.
Well not all are straight forward but often creating these can be as simple and tweaking your basic recipe just a little.
- Almond buttercream is just your regular buttercream with almond flavoring
- Mint buttercream – just a mint flavoring.
- Lemon buttercream – just lemon juice added to your vanilla buttercream
- and Nutella buttercream is just Nutella added to your vanilla buttercream too.
so you see not all are difficult to create.
In my online shop I have many PDFs for calculated cake recipes as well as fillings and frosting from simple lemon, strawberry or red velvet cake to exotic chocolate fudge cake.
More recipes and tutorials